Excellent Music Quality and Highly Versatile Operation
The Marantz PM8005 fully discrete current feedback integrated amplifier is perfect for audiophiles wanting both excellent music quality and highly versatile operation.
The PM8005 offers a powerful 2x 70W into 8 ohms, while the symmetrical circuits ensure perfect image balancing. To guarantee a totally realistic audio experience, Marantz designers have shaped and refined the power handling characteristics and redesigned the large double shielded toroidal transformer's circuitry to optimize bandwidth power. The result is a current feedback amplifier with a massive energy reserve to drive even the most demanding of speakers with absolute ease.
To further guarantee best sound quality, the PM8005 has current feedback HDAMs, as well as a triple-layer bottom plate to help eliminate vibration. The PM8005 also provides source-direct mode for the purest audio signal and Phono MM to enjoy your vinyl.
Flexible Equalization from 1954
One of the first things you'll notice about the PM8005 is the front panel's TriTone tone controls. Tri-Tone adds a midrange control to the more conventional bass and treble adjustments. Tri Tone actually dates back to Marantz's 1954 Model 1 Preamplifier and is even more useful today to correct frequency imbalances that often characterize compressed music sources such as iPods.
For critical listening, the PM8005's includes "Source Direct" switch bypasses balance and tone control circuits for pristine reproduction.
A Solid Foundation - Power Supply and Parts Selection
Specified by Marantz engineers, a large torroidal transformer is the foundation for the PM8005's power supply. Its circular shape and double shielding helps control stray magnetic fields that could adversely affect sound quality.
The PM8005 also benefits from a wide array of parts carefully selected only after extensive laboratory evaluation and listening-room audition. This process, called Sound Tuning, assures you of optimal performance.
The 70 watts-per-channel (at 8 ohms) amplifier section delivers high instantaneous current so musical peaks retain their full dynamic range. The PM8005's mechanical and electrical aspects are designed to minimize the length of power supply lines and their potential interference. Individual power supply segments are located on the same heat sinks as the output transistors. The benefit is that the PM8005 responds instantly and crisply to musical transients that lesser amplifiers would simply blur.
Both preamp and power amp sections use fully-discrete, high speed current feedback circuits for minimal phase shift and better detail resolution.
Built-in MM Phono Stage
For enjoying your vinyl treasures, the PM8005 includes a built-in high quality phono stage. The phono input is a fully discrete, constant-current design optimized for moving magnet phono cartridges.
Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module
Marantz's notable HDAM SA3, the most recent addition to the Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module series, performs critical stage-to-stage signal transfers that leave the music unaffected. Most inputs benefit from a common buffer circuit that minimizes unwanted interactions between source and amp. The CD input enjoys a separate buffer for even better isolation. Even the Record Out terminals are buffered for enhanced recording clarity.
Beautiful Appearance, Functional Design
The PM8005's front panel uses a carefully chosen combination of aluminum and glass-reinforced resin to create a distinctive three dimensional appearance. Indirect reflecting blue LEDs indicating input selection and other functions heighten that elegant appearance. Aluminum front panel knobs add solidity while the high precision motorized volume control responds instantly to both touch and the PM8005's included remote control.
As a proper foundation for the PM8005's feature-rich performance, the chassis itself includes a triple-layer bottom plate to ensure long-term alignment and vibration control.
Other details affecting both connectivity and convenience add to the PM8005's appeal. Rear panel speaker connectors are Marantz-original heavy duty designs ideally suited for use with audiophile speaker cable. With A/B speaker connectors and a front panel switch, you can select speakers in two different locations. Other rear panel input and output terminals are gold-plated for long-term corrosion resistance and better conductivity.
- Integrated Current Feedback Amplifier with 2x 70W / 8 ohm rms
- Marantz proprietary HDAM-SA3 circuits for detailed audio reproduction
- Toroidal Transformer and high quality customized components
- Triple layer bottom plate to minimize vibration
- High quality Speaker Terminals (A / B switchable)
- Discrete input buffer circuit
- High Grade Audio Components
- Customized Components
- Symmetrical PCB Layout
- Aluminum extrusion heat sink
- Balance / Bass / Treble / Midrange Controls
- Linear Drive Power Supply
- Linear volume control
- Bi-amp and Multichannel option
- Shottky diodes
- Low-noise LCD display
- Source Direct Mode
- Power Amp Direct Mode
- Standby Mode
- Gold Plated Inputs/Outputs incl. Phono (MM) input
- System remote to control Marantz Amplifier, CD Player, and Network Player
- Analog Audio Inputs: 6
- Phono Input: MM
- Analog Audio Outputs: 1
- Power Amp Direct IN
- Number of Speaker Terminals: 4
- Headphone Out
- Power Output (8 / 4 Ohm RMS): 70 W / 100 W
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz-100 kHz
- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.02 %
- Damping Factor: 100
- Input Sensitivity: MM 2 mV / 47 kOhm
- Signal to Noise Ratio: MM 87 dB
- Input Sensitivity: High level, 200 mV / 20 kOhm
- Signal to Noise Ratio: High level, 106 dB (2V input)
- Input Sensitivity: Power Amp Direct IN, 1.6V / 15 kohm
- Signal to Noise Ratio: Power Amp Direct IN, 25 dB
- Tone control: Bass (50 Hz) ±10 dB; Mid (900 Hz) ±6 dB; Treble (15 kHz) ±10 dB
- Power Consumption in W: 220 W
- Standby Consumption in W: 0.2 W
- Auto power off
- Detachable Power Cable
- Remote Control: RC002PMSA
- Dimensions: 17.3" wide, 5" high, 15" deep
- Weight: 26.4 lb